Posts Tagged badass mama
Sarah McKinley is all over the news for asking a 911 dispatcher’s permission to shoot the bastard who was breaking into her home. CBS has the details on the crime itself. News OK has more info on her life. All the news sources are going with the story that the perps were targeting McKinley’s home with the goal of stealing her very recently-deceased husband’s painkillers, but to be honest, I think they were after more than just the drugs. They may have been looking for drugs, and reasonably assumed that since Kenneth McKinley had just died of lung cancer, there probably would be some prescription painkillers in the house, but I think it wasn’t just the drugs:
Though McKinley didn’t piece things together until after the shooting, she’d had several strange run-ins with 24-year-old Justin Shane Martin. According to CBS News, her mother says that about two years ago, she noticed Martin following McKinley around at a rodeo. Recently the two bumped into each other at a convenience store, and on the night of her husband’s funeral he showed up to her door and introduced himself as a neighbor, but McKinley didn’t let him in. In the past month McKinley had started locking her doors because she thought someone had moved things around in her home, but her mother thought she was imagining things due to the stress of her husband’s illness.
Also? Four of her dogs turned up dead within the last month. I think we can take her word for it that they didn’t just die in the cold.
Martin and Stewart may very well have been a couple of junkies looking for a fix, but it also sounds like Martin was stalking Sarah McKinley for quite some time before he and Stewart showed up at her mobile home with knives. If she hadn’t shot him, I suspect Justin Shane Martin would have done considerably worse to Sarah than just steal her late husband’s pain meds.
The practical upshot is that since they did not wait for her to take the baby and visit her mother before they paid her a visit, Justin Shane Martin is dead by her shotgun, Sarah McKinley is recognized as having acted in fully lawful self-defense, and Dustin Louis Stewart is being tried for his accomplice’s murder. The logic of the charges is basically that it’s not Sarah McKinley’s fault that she shot Martin when he busted through her door with a hunting knife in hand, it’s Martin’s and Stewart’s fault for fucking with the wrong 18-year-old widowed mother. Since Martin is dead, they can’t very well charge him with anything, so they’re charging Stewart for having participated in a crime that he should have known could have gotten someone killed.
Now, Universe? Can you please stop throwing shit at Sarah McKinley? Can you let her and the baby just have a year in which no door has to be barricaded with a couch? I think she’s had enough for at least a few decades.
Everyone Loves This Shit
- Attention, all bisexual OKCupid users!
- "Love the sinner, hate the sin" DOES NOT WORK.
- How to Learn Insults from Romeo Rose
- New wallpaper: Pink Heart
- I am feeding the troll. Her name is Elizabeth Wurtzel.
- How to Learn About Racism from Romeo Rose
- Romeo Rose is still a trainwreck.
- Sister Margaret Farley is awesome; cue the Vatican's tantrum.
- Chris Stedman, Gnu Atheism, and the Use of Quotation Marks
- Bullying is wrong with imperfect victims.
- I have limited time for shopping and I'm almost out of wine. Don't make me go through another evening commute like this one. 1 week ago
- Dear WMATA: Please get your shit together before 5:30 PM tomorrow. I don't even care that hard about the morning. 1 week ago
- Marijuana is the new "slut." wp.me/pLcCM-NX #ferguson 1 week ago
- Rogeting: why 'sinister buttocks' are creeping into students' essays gu.com/p/4vtfg/tw How can anyone think this is a good idea? 1 week ago
- Ireland's acting like the setting of a dystopian novel. wp.me/pLcCM-NV #prochoice #reproductivefreedom #prochoice 2 weeks ago
- "What do you mean, you 'do voices'?" wp.me/pLcCM-NT #RIPRobinWilliams 2 weeks ago
- Laughing (and hugging, and loving) is more important than winning. 3 weeks ago
- Thinking I'd find something that we'd lost Can't remember when you stopped laughing Or when I stopped wanting to win azlyrics.com/lyrics/toriamo… 3 weeks ago
- I wrote to an old friend this week. Just to say thanks for being such a great friend. It makes me feel better to say that. 3 weeks ago
- RT @sarahw: Robin Williams and Christopher Reeve, roommates at Juilliard. http://t.co/krsohB2IL9 3 weeks ago
Specifics:abortion albania apostrophes beg for mercy assholes to the right of me atheism bad writer beautiful baby critters bullying catholicism charlinder christianity civil marriage creativity da wimminz education Etiquette fait accompli feminism fractal fucking yawn grammar harry potter holy shit they're not kidding i am a curmudgeon i am a huge nerd ignorance is not a virtue ireland islam jk rowling kitties language etiquette look at me lying liars who lie marriage equality maryland meliana and miranda men misogyny mommy make the stupid people go away movies online dating partner violence people fucking suck i tell you planned parenthood pregnancy racism rape culture religion religious freedom reproductive rights santorum science sex sexual abuse shitty logic social problems social science statistics sunday storytime surrounded by assholes teh gheyz that word does not mean what you think it means the first amendment does not work that way the right's war on women think of the children value all families victim-blaming violence against women wallpaper we get the politicians we deserve white people have no race why aren't there more women in atheism women's health yes actually the first amendment does work that way zomg opreshun